The Project Management Institute Southern Alberta Chapter (PMI-SAC) is grateful to have the support of so many local organizations. Through the support, we have a Company Ambassador Program (CAP) for those organizations with more than four members enrolled in our chapter.
About the Company Ambassador Program
The Company Ambassador Program is an opportunity to be part of Project Management Institute (PMI) and PMI-SAC and act as your organization's voice. You can bring in ideas, share experiences, and become an inherent part of the PMI-SAC on behalf of your organization. The program also allows you to help improve and streamline the flow of information between PMI-SAC and the companies in our area, and allow those organizations to help contribute to the success of the chapter.
Company Ambassador Benefits:
- 5 PDUs available per year based on meeting active involvement criteria. (Note: this is a term position of one year with an optional to renew upon evaluation.)
- Recognition among peer project managers within your organization and in the PMI-SAC. As well, the recognition of your organization by attending chapter events.
- Valuable networking and collaboration experience.
- Complimentary attendance to five dinner meetings throughout the year.
- Introduce and share best practices within your organization to promote and improve project management practices.
Company Ambassador Roles:
Expected to actively participate in their role as follows:
- Give permission to have your name published in the PMI-SAC newsletters and website stating that you are the contact in your company for questions about PMI-SAC.
- Proactively establish yourself as the focal point within your organization for communications about PMI-SAC.
- Share concerns / suggestions / ideas on how to improve PMI-SAC to efficiently cater to its members.
- Participate in Company Ambassador group meetings.
- Actively participate with other PMI-SAC Committees to develop and implement methods to attract membership interest and involvement within your organization.
- Obtain an executive sponsor willing to support your efforts to promote professionalism in project management. Solicitations will not be directed to this person. However, sponsors may be invited as guests and recognized during membership meetings.
- Attend five (5) regular PMI-SAC membership meetings per year (ideally every other month).
Suggestions for Company Ambassador Involvement:
- Build your own distribution list for potential members and send informative e-mails to encourage them to attend PMI-SAC events.
- Host a company brown bag lunch event with PMI-SAC board members come to your organization and delivery our road show presentation.
- Coordinate a mini-symposium on project management in your company to communicate the value of PMI and PMI-SAC membership.
- Create an intra-company newsletter or website containing success stories about the value of PMI-SAC participation.
- Work with your PMO, human resources department, or management team to promote PMI-SAC goodwill.
Measures of Company Ambassador Success:
Improved involvement and understanding of project management best practices within your organization
Possible Metrics to Measure Involvement:
- Improved awareness of PMI-SAC within your organization and greater understanding of project management
- Net increase in number of participants (attends and/or present) in PMI-SAC events (dinners, lunches, breakfast meetings, conferences, roundtables, networking events etc…)
- Net increase in number of PMI-SAC members in your company each year
- Net increase in the number of participants in the Mentorship program
- Net increase in number or percentage of PMPs in your organization each year.
Southern Alberta Chapter Statistics and Annual Activities
PMI-SAC is a part of PMI’s Region 1 geomarket (which includes state and provincial chapters from Alaska to Oregon and inland as far as Alberta, Idaho and Utah.) and ranks as the 4th largest chapter in Canada and the 27th largest chapter in the world out of approximately 275 chapters. The chapter is one of the fastest growing chapters with 2100+ members.
The chapter has a successful sponsorship program which affords it the opportunity to fund many different events such as a two-day professional development conference held in the fall, the six-month mentorship program, monthly dinner meetings with international recognized project management speakers, and more recently industry-specific roundtable events (e.g. EPCM).
- Alberta Electric System Operator, Ilice Tan
- WIPRO, Mohiuddin Taluuder
- AltaLink Management Ltd , Dennis Wong
- Cenovus Energy, Claude Rezk
- Sierra Systems, Steve Mathews
- TransCanada, Dean Patterson
- Forzani Group Ltd(FGL) Sports, Tanya Jaffer
- Suncor, Patricia Daze
- City of Calgary, Narinder Bubbar
PMI-SAC Ambassador Associate
- Anita Patel
As ambassadors, these individuals streamline the flow of information between PMI-SAC and their companies while promoting project management practices in these organizations.
Some of the reasons we started the Company Ambassador program
- Sometimes it is easier for people to talk with somebody they already know.
- Sometimes corporate e-mail filters prevent our notices from being received.
- Sometimes many voices speak louder than an individual voice when suggesting improvements for our chapter.
“Being an Ambassador has allowed me to network with more peers and learn more about what is happening in other companies regarding Project Management giving ideas as to what we could try in our company.”
Robert (Bob) J. Satnik, PMP, ITCP
Manager of Information Technology, PROJEX
Sierra Systems Group Inc."Being the PMI-SAC Ambassador for Sierra has given me the opportunity to promote the benefits of PMI and the PMBOK within our organization resulting in a new generation of eager project managers. It has also given me the platform from which I can help mentor and coach our project managers from the most junior to the seasoned vets.”
Steve Matthews, CMC, PMP
Regional Vice President
Interested in joining or if you have and any questions:
Please contact Tanya Dossa for further details.