ALL FOR ONE & ONE FOR ALL: TEAMING WITH YOUR PROCUREMENT and CONTRACTING FUNCTIONS FOR GREATER PROJECT SUCCESS (7 PDUs)
PMI-SAC is pleased to bring you this innovative and information one-day workshop purposefully designed to provide you with solutions for successful interaction and outcomes with procurement and contracting function in your organization.
Over many years of work as project managers, procurement experts and contract specialists, the designers of this workshop have personally experienced the negative effects of poor engagement among PM’s and their procurement and contracting colleagues: ill-defined scopes, schedule delays, change management challenges, reduced quality of work - and often strained relationships. Conversely, there are many opportunities for generating benefits from greater alignment and collaboration between these disciplines.
This workshop will focus on helping PM’s understand how procurement and contracts resources execute their work: their goals, perspectives, methods and best practices – with a view to identifying and leveraging opportunities that create alignment within the project. The session will also show participants how to best level those resources – and embed Contracting, and Procurement strategies into their Project Execution Plan for greatest impact.
The workshop will provide project managers with knowledge of methods, processes and tools needed to successfully interface with procurement and contracting personnel, functions and processes.
As a result of attending this session, PM’s will better understand how to utilize procurement and contract resources to create high-performance teams and achieve greater project success.
The learning materials and group exercises are based on widely applied practices in (i) procurement and contracting (recognized by leading procurement and contracting associations)1 as well as (ii) the Project Management Institute (PMI).
There will be special focus on front end planning, scope definition and requirements capture, as well as collaboration for alignment on goals and building joint strategies to achieve success.
Module 1: Understanding the Procurement Mindset
- Explore the typical goals and motivations of procurement and contracting organizations;
- Learn the procurement and contracting strategies employed to reach those goals. e.g. category management;
- Examine the role of procurement and contracting functions as risk managers and stewards for governance;
Module 2: How do Procurement and Contracting Functions Work?
- Explore common organizational and delivery models for these services;
- Become familiar with the key processes and toolsets employed by procurement and contracting functions. E.g. RFP’s
Module 3: Building Relationships and Interfacing Effectively
- The best time and approach for involving procurement and contracting functional stakeholders;
- Strategies for successful alignment and creating high functioning teams for procurement and contracting work streams;
Module 4: Best Practices for Integrating Procurement and Contracting Worksteams into Project Plans
- Aligning procurement and contracting strategies to project delivery approach
- Creating optimal procurement and contracting plans;
- Accurately estimating procurement and contracting resource effort and durations;
Module 5: Executing Excellently: Ensuring procurement and contracting resources deliver on schedule and in support of the critical path.
- Optimize controls specific to procurement and contract activities
- Assuring procurement and contracting support for prompt change management
- Ensuring acceptance of project deliverable in alignment to contractual rights
This workshop will rely on brainstorming, small “buzz-group” discussion and case studies to facilitate the attainment of learning objectives.
- PMI-SAC Members – 200 CAD
- Non Members – 350 CAD
- ·Location - University of Calgary Main Campus
- ·Date – 28th April 2018
- ·Time – 8.30pm to 4.30pm
- ·Building - Science A (Campus Map http://www.ucalgary.ca/map/)
- ·Room # - SA 109 (Interactive Room Finder http://ucmapspro.ucalgary.ca/RoomFinder/)
- ·Parking - http://www.ucalgary.ca/parking/visitorparking
- ·Transit - http://ucmaps.ucalgary.ca/PublicFiles/CurrentMaps/ACCESS_Calgary.pdf
- This workshop will count towards 7 PDUs which will be uploaded automatically by PMI-SAC Administration Staff
- Breakfast and Lunch will be provided
Registration Link: https://securegs.com/pmi-sac/
|Richard is the principal of RV & Associates (RVA) – a consultancy specialized in supporting and improving the performance of procurement and contracting functions working in both project and operations contexts for both private and public sector organizations. RVA’s practice relies on Richard’s 15 years of experience as a project manager, procurement expert and contracts lawyer. In addition to his law degree, Richard is a PMP, holds a Master of Business Administration from the Schulich School of Business, as well as a B.Comm (Economics). He is also a certified Change Management expert. Richard instructs for the Supply Chain Management Association, delivering training on many related subjects, including Project Procurement, Construction Contract Strategy and Design, Supplier Relationship Management and Contract Management.|