The next Project Management Institute Southern Alberta Chapter (PMI-SAC) election to fill Board of Director positions for 2017 will be celebrated in October's Annual General Meeting. The term for the successful candidates in this election will run from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2019 (2 years).
The deadline for nominations for the upcoming election is midnight, the date will be informed in the future.
All PMI-SAC Board positions are a 2-year commitment. Half the positions have staggered terms to help ensure continuity of Chapter operations and a smooth transition from one Board to the next. Positions open for the next term of office are as follows:
- VP Finance
- VP Professional Development
- VP Administration & Volunteer Management
- VP Membership
The time commitment of each of the board members could be 10-35 hrs a month depending on the role.
If you are interested in any of the above stated rolls you are invited to nominate yourself at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please forward your contact information, the role you are seeking election in, and a brief bio and why you believe you would be a good fit for the role.
The board of directors has submitted an ammendment to chapter bylaws and next election will be held electronically at announced in the October Annual General Meeting.
If you have any questions about these positions please send those to email@example.com.
General information on the Board roles and responsibilities can be found under Chapter Info on this website in the Chapter Bylaws and Board Positions areas. The Nominating Committee will also provide more specific information to interested candidates.
What is the Nominating Committee?
The President appoints a Nominating Committee Chair (Project Manager) who in turn forms a Nominating Committee of PMI-SAC volunteers. These individuals can recruit candidates but their more important role is to ensure that all nominated members are eligible and ready to stand for office and appropriately briefed. This group is also responsible for coordinating the election event and making sure it is conducted appropriately.
Who can run for a Director position?
Any PMI-SAC member whose membership is in good standing during the nomination process and election can run for a Director’s position on the PMI-SAC Board. The Nominating Committee will use the PMI Global Operations Center Chapter Membership List to determine membership status. New memberships and renewals can take a few days to process and appear on this list, so please ensure your Chapter membership is active at least 1 week prior to the Annual General Meeting when the election occurs. If you join or renew in the week just prior to the Election meeting, please bring your receipt showing your membership number and join/renew date as proof of transaction.
Some Board positions require additional qualifications. It is the responsibility of the Nominating Committee to screen nominees to make sure nominees meet the criteria for the position in question.
How do I nominate someone or myself for a position?
Nominations are currently open and will be accepted until midnight Tuesday, October 11, 2016. Candidates may self nominate or be nominated by another PMI-SAC member. Candidates may also be nominated for more than one position. Balloting for each open position is done in sequence and should a candidate win a given position then his/her name is automatically removed from the ballots for any subsequent positions.
Nominating is easy. Simply send an e-mail to the Nominating Committee and include the following information:
- Name of Nominee
- Director Position of Interest
- PMI Member Identification Number
- Telephone Number(s)
- Proof of additional qualifications as required by the specific position
What are the guidelines for the election process?
- Candidates are encouraged to attend the election meeting.
- Attending candidates can present a 2-minute speech introducing themselves and explaining why they feel they are qualified for their nominated position.
- The election facilitator will open the floor for questions and limit the number posed to each candidate to a maximum of 5.
- No campaigning aside from the 2-minute speech and 5 questions is allowed. Candidates violating this rule are automatically disqualified.
- Any PMI-SAC member who attends the Annual General Meeting and whose Chapter membership is active as of the election can cast a ballot and vote. Voting in advance or by proxy are not accepted.
- Voting is conducted by paper ballot, one for each position. The list of candidates for each position will be posted prior to voting. Voters will complete the ballot indicating their desired candidate on that ballot.
- Voters should use caution when marking ballots as illegible ballots are destroyed.
- Election Results
- Election results are double-counted and announced at the same meeting when the election occurs.
- Should only one eligible candidate run for a position, that candidate is declared elected by acclamation.
- Should no eligible candidates run for a position, the President will subsequently select and present a suitable candidate to the Board for appointment to the position.